Wudhu and Other methods of Purification
Wudu consists of using clean, clear water to purify and clean particular parts of the body.It is called the small purity or purity from HADATH (urination, elimination and/or release of gas). It has certain conditions, mandates, sunnah (traditions) and etiquettes. It has also some dislikes and spoils.The purpose of WUDU is to remove HADATH. To perform WUDU properly, we need clean, clear water. Then we have to go by the following steps:
1. We first wash our hands thoroughly. We should remove any fat or grease that may be on our hands. We should also remove the dirt that may be under the nails. During the washing of our hands we ought to say:BISMI’LLAHI’RRAHMANI’RRAHIM.
2. We then wash our mouth. It is also to brush our teeth with a finger. We may then say: “God, feed me from the food of paradise.”
3. We then clean our nose making sure the water goes in the nostrils and out of them. We may say. “God, let me enjoy the smell of paradise.”
4. We then wash our face, all the face from ear to ear, and from the hair line to the chin.We must remove any dirt that may be in the eyes or elsewhere on the face. When we begin washing the face, we say: “NAWAYTUL WUDU.” (I intend to perform wudu). We must also say: “God make my face white on the Day when some are resurrected with white faces and others with black faces.”
5. We then wash our hands up to the elbows. We should wash a part of the elbow also. while washing the right hand we may say: “God, give me my book on my right hand .” When we wash the left hand, we may say: “God, let me not receive my book from my left hand.”
6. We then wet our hands with water, and then rub a part of our head with it. It is better to rub all the head. We may then say: “God, let not my hair or skin burn in Fire!”
7. Then we clean our ears. We wet our fingers with water, and insert the index finger in the ear, pass the thumb behind the ears, and pass the index to the folds of the ear. We may then say: “God, let me be one of those who hearken and obey.”
8. We then wash our feet including the ankles making sure we remove the dirt that may be under the nails or between the toes. During this washing we may say: “God, make my feet firm on the path.”
9. When this is done, we read the following DU’A: “ASHADU AN LA’ILAHA ILLA’LLAH, WAHDHU LASHARIKA LAH.WA ASHHADU ANNA SAYYIDANA MUHAADAN ABDUHU WA RASULUH.ALLAHUMA J’ALNI MINAT TAWWABIN WA JA’ALNI MINAL MUTAHHIRINSUBHANAKA LLAHUMMA WA BI HAMDIK.ASHHADU AN LA’ILAHA ILLA ANTA ASTAGHFIRUKA WA ATUBU ILAYKA.WASALLA LLAHU ALA SAYYIDINA MUHAMADIN WA ALA ALIHI WASAHBIHI WA SALLAM.”
Summary of Wudu The acts of WUDU are:
1. Washing the hands.
2. Washing the mouth.
3. Cleaning the nose.
4. Washing the face.
5. Washing the hands up to the elbows.
6. Rubbing the head.
7. Cleaning the ears.
8. Washing the feet and the ankles.
9. Reading the DU’A at the end.
We must remember that every act is to be repeated three times. We should also begin by the right hand before the left hand, and the right foot before the left foot. These acts of WUDU are of two divisions. A division is called WAJIB, and another division is called SUNNAH.You may now ask: “What is the meaning of WAJIB, and what is the meaning of SUNNAH?” WAJIB means that something is necessary. SUNNAH means that something is good but not necessary. WAJIB may also be called FARD.Let us take our body as an example. Our body consists of Parts: The head, the eyes, the ears, the hands, the heart, the stomach, the legs, and so on. Some these parts are necessary for our life-like the heart. If any of these necessary parts goes. Life also goes. Some other parts are good and useful, like the eyes and the hands. If one these parts goes, life continues, but it is not perfect.We can say the same about WUDU. Some of its acts are WAJIB and necessary. If we omit one of these acts, WUDU becomes incomplete and incorrect. The acts of WUDU wich are WAJIB or FARD are:
1. Intention to perform WUDU,
2. Washing the face,
3. Washing the hands up to the elbows,
4. Rubbing the head,
5. Washing the feet. It is also WAJIB to do these acts in this order.The other acts of WUDU are SUNNAH. They are not necessary but good to do.
1. Washing the hands in the beginning, as we described before.
2. Washing the mouth and brushing the teeth.
3. Cleaning the nose,
4. Rubbing all the head instead of rubbing a little of it,
5. Cleaning the ears,
6. Repeating every act three times,
7. Starting with the right before the left,
8. Reading the DU’A for each act,
9. Reading the DU’A at the end. These are all the acts of WUDU. When we do all these acts, the HADATH goes. We become completely pure. We can say our prayers, and we can also touch the Qur’an. Before performing the WUDU as described, we cannot touch the Qur’an, and we cannot say our prayers.
What Breaks Wudu
a. falling asleep
b. Natural discharge i.e. urine, stools, gas…etc.
c. Vomiting or flowing of blood from an injury.
d. Being unconscious whatever the reason – i.e. as a result of an accident or by taking strong medicatione.
e. Touching your private parts
Special Facilities in Wudu
If socks or stockings have been put on after performing Wudu, it is not necessary to take them off when renewing Wudu. Instead of taking them off, the wet hand may be passed over them. Examples:You did your Wudu and performed the morning prayer (Al-Fajr) then you put on your socks. When the time comes for the early afternoon prayer (Al-Zuhr) and you needed to do a fresh Wudu, follow the usual steps of Wudu, but when it comes to washing your feet, just wipe your socks with a wet hand;OrIf you have a wound in one of the parts which must be washed during Wudu, just wipe the bandage with a wet hand.
Taharah, meaning “purity”, is a condition for prayer. In some cases the partial wash know as Wudu does not achieve that purity. A total wash of the hair and body (complete bath) becomes necessary and this is called Al-Ghusl
Tayammum, “dry abolution”, may substitute for Wudu or even a bath and is allowed in the following cases:
a. If a person is sick and cannot use water or if using water may harm himb. If water cannot be found or just enough for drinking is only available
b. If doing Wudu will make a person miss Eid prayer or a funeral prayer, which cannot be made up later
How to Perform Tayammum
a. Beat both hands on pure dry earth or on a clean and dry piece of furniture.
b. Shake the hands off and pass the palms of your hands over the face once.
c. Beat with your hands again on the same object and rub your right arm to the elbow with the left hand once and the left arm with the right hand once.